Usages: This can be used as an aid to relieve mastitis, thyroid malfunction, etc., etc.
The Mullein and lobelia will reduce the swelling of mumps and the swollen palate, Dr. Christopher taught. It is also an excellent remedy for poison ivy or poison oak, etc. [UW-Mullein] Dosages: 1. Tonsillitis: The tonsils are the tail end of the lymphatic system. They swell up with pus and infection when the body is overloaded with toxic material. When the system is overloaded with waste that an inactive lymphatic system cannot eliminate, the tonsils become enlarged and sore. They are a safety valve of the body - a warning system, if you wish. They should never be removed from the body. The lymphatic system can be cleared through exercise. The lymph system has no pump such as the bloodstream has the heart. Exercise can activate the lymph system to carry waste products from the cells. The glandular formula of 3 parts mullein and one part lobelia can be taken internally as a tea or capsules and externally as a fomentation around the neck covering the affected glands. Of course the tonsils will diminish in size and infectious content with adherence to the correct principles of nutrition contained in the mucusless diet. [NL 4-2]
2. Any Swollen Gland: Through the accumulation of toxic waste in the body from improper diet, poor blood stream and sluggish circulation of the blood system the glands become congested and infected, and swell up to cause much pain and misery. (There are glands that swell on the neck, breast, groin, under arm pits, etc.) Make a tea of three parts mullein and one part lobelia herb and use as a fomentation over swollen or malfunctioning glands. Leave on all night (covering fomentation with plastic), six days a week until relief is obtained. Use a fresh fomentation as warm as possible each night. This can be used as an aid to relieve mastitis, thyroid malfunction, etc., etc. In addition to the external fomentation, also drink a cup of this tea two or three times in a day or take two of the capsules or tablets with a cup of steam-distilled water.
3. Malfunctioning Thyroid: "The thyroid, through the hormone thyroxine determines growth, controls body temperature, regulates the metabolism or the burning of food in the body and influences, to a great extent, mental and emotional balance. Also, it is of special importance for the proper functioning of the reproductive system. The inter-relationship between reproductive functions and thyroid functions is very complex and not entirely understood, but it is known that various changes, especially in girls and women, are apt to cause changes in thyroid functions. For instance, a slight enlargement of the thyroid gland is common at puberty, during pregnancy and menopause.
"When the thyroid gland is functioning properly, we are hardly aware of its existence. It stores practically all of the body's supply of iodine, releases thyroxine into the blood stream at intervals and regulates all the bodily functions we have mentioned above. Disorders of the thyroid gland are apparently caused by two conditions:
(One) lack of sufficient iodine in the diet, so that the thyroid cannot obtain enough to manufacture thyroxine, or (two) some disorder of the body which creates a demand for more thyroxine than the gland can manufacture."
Our recommendations to aid the thyroid are in two parts. First we need to strengthen the deficiency of the gland by using Dr. Christopher's glandular formula Mullein & Lobelia as a fomentation around the throat at the thyroid area. This formula is made up of mullein and lobelia in a combination that is beneficial in aiding and strengthening the glands of the body, in this case, the thyroid gland. It would also help to use two capsules of our gland formula Mullein & Lobelia three or more times a day.
Second, take Dr. Christopher's thyroid combination as an herbal food aid to this gland. It consists of the following herbs - parsley, watercress, kelp, Irish moss, romaine lettuce, turnip tops and Iceland moss. This herbal group assists in controlling metabolism and gives herbal feeding to the thyroid glands to do their job more efficiently.
These two aids will assist the thyroid to function properly whether it be underactive or overactive. [NL 3-4]
4. Undescended Testicle: Oftentimes, through some factor of heredity, one of the testicles will not descend in the fetus and the child is then born with an undescended testicle. If, during early childhood the testicle does not descend of its own accord, the child is sometimes made to undergo painful and unnecessary surgery to bring it down. We know of one case where the testicle was operated upon and then never developed later in life. That is, it atrophied, and remained almost imperceptible upon examination.
Here is where we would use the wonderful glandular formula Mullein & Lobelia of three parts mullein and one part lobelia. We apply this as a fomentation, that is, we make a tea of the herbs (one ounce to the pint) and concentrate it down to one half its original volume. A flannel or cotton cloth is dipped into the solution and put on the area, perhaps keeping the area warm with Turkish towels. The tea or capsules can be used internally as well.
Ingredients: Three parts mullein One part lobelia herb. Testimonials: 1. Crushed Scrotum: He told the story of a boy and his friend playing by a two-wheeled trailer, the tongue of which was balanced on a log. The little fellow was sitting cross-legged by the trailer; the tongue dropped from the log and hit him between the legs, mashing the testicles and splitting the scrotum open. When his parents rushed out to see what all the screaming was, he was in a really serious condition. They called their family doctor, who said, "Bring him right up here and I'll castrate him". That wasn't what the father wanted, though, so he called Dr. Christopher, who rushed over. Since the testicles are glands and Mullein is the basis for the glandular herbal aids, Dr. Christopher told him to make a strong tea of Mullein and Lobelia, making a fomentation and applying it to the crushed scrotum, removing the old and providing a fresh fomentation when needed, always keeping it wet. The scrotum as well as the testicles were healed with no scar. The boy grew up normal. Dr. Christopher mentioned that this fomentation, together with drinking the tea, has been used for enlarged swollen testicles and also for those that have dropped down into the scrotum. [NL 3-4]
2. Mastitis: A woman in Roy, Utah, had mastitis; she was a nursing mother. Her breast was double its regular size, with red streaks. Anyone experiencing mastitis knows that it is terribly painful, and accompanying symptoms resemble flu. A mastitis fever is really uncomfortable. Her baby had nursed from the other side, but the mother couldn't let it get near the inflamed breast, which sometimes can relieve the pain and swelling if possible. The baby was crying from hunger; the mother was crying from pain; what misery for the two of them! The Doctor made a fomentation of three parts of Mullein and one part of lobelia. Plastic was put over the fomentation, and the mother was told to drink half a cup of the tea each half hour until time to sleep, then a half cup each hour the next day if needed, which the Doctor did not think would be necessary.
The next morning she called Dr. Christopher, happy to tell him that the swelling was all gone, as well as the soreness and flu symptoms, and the baby was nursing happily again on that side. [UW-Mullein]
3. Swollen Glands Behind Ears and on Backs of Necks: You may recall the story of the two children with swollen glands behind their ears and on the backs of their necks. If you have ever seen these on your children, you will know how distressing they are. Most doctors will tell you that the child cannot eliminate wastes fast enough, so that the lymphatic system stores them until the body can eliminate them. They say that the swollen glands will do no harm, yet we have seen the child debilitated and sickly because of this condition. Dr. Christopher recommended the same Mullein-Lobelia fomentation.
The stronger child, a robust boy of ten, experienced the reduction of the gland and the absorption and elimination of the poisons through his system. The weaker child, also ten years old, couldn't support that many toxins going through his system; his gland continued to swell, though with no pain, until it came to a head and broke open. Nearly a cup of infectious pus poured out and continued to drain a day or so longer; the mother considered that this saved the child's life. [UW-Mullein] Useful in Treating: * Breast * Cysts * Glands * Mumps * Quinsy * Throat * Tonsillitis * Tumors