* 2 pounds of ground turkey (optional)
* 1 medium white onion, chopped
* 2 bunches of green onions, chopped
* 1 red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
* 1 green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
* 4-5 cloves of garlic, peeled and mashed
* 3 carrots, peeled and grated
* 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
* 1/4 cup cilantro
* 1 cup cooked peas
* 1 cup cooked corn
* 1 ½ cups brown rice
* 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
* freshly ground pepper
* sea salt to taste
Saute turkey in a skillet with a little olive oil until cooked through, allowing some of it to become well browned. Season with ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, freshly ground pepper and salt to taste. In a separate skillet, saute onions and peppers in olive oil. Add carrots, garlic, ½ teaspoon cumin and salt to taste and saute a bit more. In a large bowl, mix cooked turkey, vegetable mixture, peas, corn and rice. Check seasonings.
Roll out pastry dough and cut into rounds, approximately 6 to 7 inches in diameter. Place several spoonfuls of filling off center, fold pastry rounds and pinch edges. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned. May be individually wrapped in foil or frozen. Remove foil before reheating.
Yoghurt Dough Ingredients:
* 1 cup plain yoghurt
* 2 sticks butter, softened
* 3 ½ cups freshly ground spelt or wheat flour
* 2 teaspoons sea salt
This excellent all-purpose dough recipe makes enough for two 10 inch French style tart shells. This dough cooks rather slowly. For a pre-baked tart shell, allow 20 to 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Cream yoghurt with butter. Blend in flour and salt. Let stand, covered, overnight. Roll on a pastry cloth using unbleached white flour to prevent sticking.
Makes about 2 dozen
for a Printer-Friendly version of this recipe.
"Natural Healing with Herbs for a Healthier You"